At 12:27 p.m. VUGD was called to a smoking house in Ludza. Upon arrival at the one-story wooden house, it was established that 40m2 of the bedroom was on fire and one person was found dead. The fire was put out at 3:38 p.m. and it was found that the home did not have a smoke detector or fire extinguisher.
At 4:21 p.m. firefighters were called to a burning abandoned building in Rīga. Upon arrival it was established that 30m2 of household objects were on fire, and one person was found dead. Before VUGD arrived one fire victim was evacuated and delivered to State Emergency Medical Service (NMPD) medics. The fire was put out at 5:51 p.m..
At 9:28 p.m. firefighters were called to a smoking home in the Rēzekne area. Upon arrival they established that 120m2 of the one-story wooden house was on fire, and that the roof had already caved in. Three people were found dead and the fire was put out at 2:49 a.m.. This building didn’t have a smoke detector or fire extinguisher either.
At 9:47 p.m. VUGD was called to a burning barn in the Vecpiebalga area. Upon arrival they established that a 60m2 room in the one-and-a-half-story concrete building was on fire, and the building was filled with heavy smoke. Firefighters carried one person out of the building, however medics declared that person dead. The fire was put out at 12:49 a.m..
In 2019 76 people died in fires, but this year the number has already reached 11. In last night’s incidents smoke detectors could have possibly saved lives. VUGD suggest they be installed not only in apartments in home, but also other living spaces such as garden houses or rooms in operational buildings, and that you opt for an extra loud version.
As previously reported , this year it will be legally mandatory for all homes to install smoke detectors. Cheaper models are available for purchase for prices from five to 60 euros, while more expensive models can even send warning notifications to mobile phones. Detectors need to be regularly tested and have their batteries changed.